When I wrote my first gardening book Wild about Weeds, the main thing I hoped was that people would reevaluate the plants we rip out, calling weeds. That we all find ‘our weed’ that adds beauty to our gardens. To support this I’m running a photography competition to find the world’s most beautiful weeds! Showcasing your photos in an online gallery later this summer. It’s open to everyone and by the end, I’ll choose what I think are the best photos of designer weeds, promoting the gallery of winners for all to see! Please enter and do share the weedy love!
- First prize will be a £30 gift voucher from the independent nursery of your choice and a signed copy of Wild about Weeds! Two runners up will receive £15 gift vouchers from an independent nursery of your choice.
- There will be an overall winner and a list of runner up winners, making the final set of winning photographers and their photograph.
- The winning photographs will be featured in a gallery on this blog with credit to you and links to your sites (see below).
How to enter
- Email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only one photo per person, so choose your best!
- In the email please confirm i) that you took the photo yourself ii) roughly where and when it was taken iii) what the weed means to you iv) a little bit of info about you v) your website and social links
Tips on taking / choosing your photo
- The photo should be of one or more weeds alongside normal ornamental plants. A mix to show the weed off really well!
- If you can show it as part of the wider garden, that helps, for instance if you can include a patio, seating area, part of your house, a pot, shed, gate or some other garden feature, that will help people see the weed as a beautiful thing in a garden setting.
- The more ‘unexpected’ the better, so not just wild look gardens, but super clean and modern design gardens, urban gardens, balconies etc will help. I’m looking for creative weed design and showcasing excellent photography talent!
- Closing date: 31st July 2020
- Winners photos will be included in a little gallery of winners on this site but obviously the copyright remains yours and I wouldn’t use them elsewhere!
- All entries and emails will be deleted after the closing date except for the winning entries in the gallery.
- Judges decision is final.