Everyone can grow a beautiful window box. Even if you’re renting or in full shade, it’s easy to plant up a snazzy box of planty lushness. So to celebrate window boxes it’s time for the global Window Box of the Year awards!
I love window boxes and I want to encourage EVERYONE to have a go at growing a window box this year. They brighten up not just our own homes but our streets for the community around us as well as giving wildlife a little extra home and source of food.
So please, take up the challenge, even if it’s just for fun, and take part in the great Window Box of the Year 2019 competition! Enter at any time in spring or summer with your creation by adding a photo on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #windowboxoftheyear and a little info about the plants and why you chose them. It’s free, it’s easy, and your photo will give others inspiration to grow! The competition is worldwide, anyone can enter.
Window boxes will be judged on a variety of merits and not just how extravagant they are. The judges will be looking for creativity, care and a display built to last – one of the rules is that the display must last for at least one season (e.g. three months of summer).
There will be “celebrity gardening judges” *, there will be “an award ceremony” **, there will be “real awards” *** and there will be window box glory ****!
* To be confirmed
** Probably in a pub
*** They’ll be cheap as chips but they will be real
**** There definitely will be glory
How to enter
Entering is easy, simply post a photo on Twitter or Instagram at some point between now and 1st September 2019 of your window box front on, like this:
Award categories up for grabs
- First time lucky – your first ever window box!
- Stylista – something so sleek it belongs in Vogue.
- Shades out – a window box in shade.
- Lights fantastic – brighter than a unicorn.
- Nibble me – an edible window box.
- Long distance – planted to last for at least 12 months.
- Teach this – a school, college or uni window box.
- That’s business – at work either by an organisation or one of its team.
- Wildling – best window box for hummingbirds, bees, butterflies or other wildlife.
- Inside out – an indoor window box.
- Boxtastic – forget the plants, best actual window box ‘box’.
- Outside the box – best window display using pots instead of a window box (but must be on the window ledge, not around).
- Must be your own window box planted up by you.
- Photo must be face on like the above pic, and your own photo.
- Post the photo on Instagram or Twitter with a bit of info about it, why you chose the plants and the hashtag #windowboxoftheyear
- Must have been planted between 1 Jan 2019 and 15 Aug 2019.
- Must be planted to last for at least one whole season, e.g. the three months of spring.
- Closing date 1 Sept 2019.
- You can enter as many times as you like as long as the window box is from this year and it is yours.
- Judge’s decision is final.
Join newsletter for updates
Latest posts by Jack Wallington (see all)
- How to protect tender plants over winter in small spaces - November 9, 2019
- Wild about Weeds: Garden Design with Rebel Plants - November 4, 2019
- 6 Gardening podcasts worth a listen - October 20, 2019